Tattoos
New Tattoo

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Hormones and MS in Women

Last time I saw my Neuro about 6 months ago, he mentioned to me that I should probably not have serious MS progression until after I hit Menopause. Not that I won't have flares or that he was determining my disease progression, because we all know that's not possible, but that I may experience the more debilitating symptoms after I begin Menopause. After hearing this at that time I took pause and thought, it makes sense. Part of what may control our disease could very well be hormonal.

I remember thinking of my mother who had MS and while she was pregnant with my younger brother and sister (10 years my junior) all of her symptoms went away and immediately after the "twins" were born, naturally at that, she came home in a wheelchair and never got out of it again. I won't rehash my mothers story as it is not my story. But it has most definitely influenced my choices and how I live with MS. One of those being mindful of hormonal levels and preparing for when my hormones start to change.

While I could be 10-15 years away from beginning Menopause, my mother went through it early, in her late 30's. Which is exactly the same time she began the progressive track of the disease. So, while at my Gynecologist this past week I mentioned what my Neurologist had said and asked about how Pregnancy Hormones influence our bodies. To my surprise, my gyno completely understood what I was speaking of and was familiar treating women with MS who are pregnant.

The hormone believed to make all those pesky symptoms go away during pregnancy is Estriol. Estriol is one of the main 3 estrogens produced by the human body. I've been doing some research and found that studies regarding Estriol and MS are and have been underway and for that I am thankful. My Gynecologist mentioned to me of some self-pay hormonal treatment centers that are in my area and some of the Synthetic Compounds of Estriol that are becoming available. While she said it isn't something she would recommend for me yet, nor was she promoting them, she did want me to know about it. But also that it is quite expensive.

Some of the results I read about from the MS Studies included up to 80% reduction in active lesions and improved cognitive function. I'm not going to write a complete paper on Estriol and MS, but, I want to make sure women with MS are aware of the link. I had already planned on taking replacement hormonal therapy when I am menopausal, this is just one more reason to consider it.

Please do share any knowledge you have about this topic in the comments section!

0 comments:

Post a Comment